Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Why students evaluations can be the funniest things ever

I have written before about how much I hate student evaluations. Well, after several changes in the university policy, finally, I got three semesters worth of them back. I could always see the average scores online, but I really enjoy seeing the comments in the back of the evaluation sheets. They tend to be very entertaining, and a bit more valuable that just the stupid scores.

Some of the highlights from the previous semesters are the following:

- A lot of students saying that I cared a lot about them learning, but that I'm a real hard-ass grader. This is great, 'cause I do care a lot about them learning, and I am a hard-ass grader; I plan to stay that way.

- Three comments about my accent. Two of them said that they loved my accent and one said that it got irritating after a long lab period. Sorry guys, even if I wanted, I can't change my accent that much.

- I got the funniest evaluation ever. It was drawing of a big heart, cracked down the middle and stabbed by Cupid's arrow. What can I say?

No comments: