Thursday, November 24, 2005

Soy Boricua, tu lo sabes

There are many stereotypes about people from Puerto Rico. One of the most famous ones here is that we are really into music. Also, some people think that we are all alcoholics or drug addicts. Another common stereotype is that we are crazy and like to fight a lot. I'm not going to deny that I have used that last one to my advantage, but it still isn't a good stereotype. In the past few weeks I've met several Boricuas in random situations, and you can be a judge to see if they fit the stereotypes.

I was at the bar with the best jukebox and burgers in town, having a pre-concert meal while talking to some of my old friends from PR. This girl approaches us after recognizing our accent, and introduces herself as a boricua too. After much conversation, she tells me about her band, where she plays the drums, and I promise to go check her show sometime.

A week later I was walking downtown, and see this huge SUV truck parking. It had a small PR flag, and I stared at it for a second. As I was walking away from it, the driver of the SUV rolls down the window and yells "What the fuck is your problem?". This guy wanted to kick my ass; an activity that he could have performed without much opposition, as he was a lot bigger than me. I apologized, and said I was from Puerto Rico, and his attitude totally changed. "Sooooocioooooooo, de donde eres?" he said, after shaking my hands. We talked some, and he seemed like a cool guy now that he wasn't thinking about killing me for no reason.

Last night, at the Stretch Arm Strong concert, the lead singer was talking to us and this guy comes to him and tells him: "Dude, I saw you in Puerto Rico." WHAT? It turned out there were two other boricuas in the show beside us, and they have their own hardcore band. After multiple questions mostly around our inclinations towards alcohol and drugs, we agreed to go support his band sometime.

No comments: