Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Charles Bukowski

I just finished reading Ham on Rye, an almost-autobiographical novel of Charles Bukowski growing up during the Depression to become a very fucked up man at the beginning of WW2. The novel starts as his early years as a weird boy with a horrible dictator-father that didn't wanted him to play with other kids. This molds him into a very violent, full of hatred teenager, and later a sadist antisocial man.

The pages fly as you read them; everything is so horrible that you have to keep on reading. And those fights do pack some punch! A well written, disturbing and accesible peek into the mind of a sociopath.

Since he mentions over and over how ugly he is, I did a quick google search for his picture, and found this not-appropriate-for-work picture of the author. After comparing it with some other pictures, I can state that, yes, that is the author having a good time.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I haven't read Ham on Rye yet, I think I'll have to put it at the top of my list. And uh, yeah - that wasn't exactly Buk's bio pic eh?