Friday, June 09, 2006

Best? TA? Ever?

I just got this email:
It gives me great pleasure to inform you that you have been selected as an Outstanding Teaching Assistant for 2006. Your name was placed in nomination by the chairman of your department and was based not only on your scholastic achievement, but most importantly on your commitment to the discipline of physics and physics education. [...]

I don't even know what it means or implies. How do they select these people for these "awards"? What do they consider? Student evaluations? 'cause I think they aren't very meaningful. And the chairman doesn't even know me. Weird.

I'll get a subscription to a physics education magazine, so it can't be bad.

UPDATE


Looking at the American Association of Physics Teachers' webpage, I found the following:
Outstanding Teaching Assistant Awards

Annually, AAPT solicits nominations for Outstanding Teaching Assistants to be recipients of the AAPT Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award.

A department chair of any university with a graduate physics program may nominate one TA at that institution who will then be awarded the AAPT Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award. The nominating chairperson must be an AAPT member.

No comments: