Monday, October 16, 2006

Book Reviews of A Million Random Digits

Amazon reviews tend to lean torwards the useless up to the point of being irrational. This books has some very entertaining reviews.

A Million Random Digits with 100,000 Normal Deviates

Radical Approach Very Disappointing, October 16, 2006


A strictly "by the numbers," formula-driven plot spoiled the ending, which was, nevertheless, difficult to predict by my calculations. The characterization was singularly type cast and the theme repetitive. You can safely skip this radical arctangent from scientific literature.

A stochoclastic tour de force, October 15, 2006

Although cloaked in the mundane, once one realizes that the language is english and unfocuses ones consciousness... voila! It IS Shakespeare, and it WAS written by Kevin Bacon. Still, can't help but wonder why Nostradumus and Edgar Cayce keep croppng up.

Anyhow, if you're only going to have one book this has gotta be it. Every time you read it is just as fascinating as the first.

Not what I expected.... but nice, October 15, 2006


When I picked it up, I thought it would be about fingers. Perhaps on the handrail of a New York subway station. Imagine my surprise when I found I had it all wrong! At first I felt betrayed - but I read on, and was enchanted. It's a story of heartbreaking inequalities, passionate interactions, capricious changes and prophetic statements. It should be on every insomniac's beside table.

A great read, October 14, 2006

A great read. Captivating. I couldn't put it down. I would have given it five stars, but sadly there were too many distracting typos. For example: 46453 13987. Hopefully they will correct them in the next edition.

Utterly Betrayed... NOT NON-FICTION!, October 13, 2006

As a member of Oprah's book club and a devotee of her literary suggestions, I immediately came to Amazon to purchase "A Million Random Digits." Like most of my book-loving friends, I was deeply moved by what I'd been led to believe was a true story about 35816's struggle with addiction to 75881, the 88530 life he led on the 66580, and his subsequent 05546 and self-discovery through 56108.

What a sad and lonely descent into 13027 the poor author had, once his "non-fictional work" was found to have been entirely fabricated. 35816 hadn't written of his own 05546, he'd merely 56413ed the whole thing.

Had we previously known that the entire work was fictional, I'm sure that the reading community would have been far more forgiving of the author, but 35816 had lost our trust. "A Million Random Digits"? More like "A Million Betrayed Readers."

I returned my copy to the publisher for the purchase price.

What a 87615 thing for an author to do. Oh, the things some people do for a 31350...

No comments: