Thursday, June 23, 2005

Spam for Cannon Fodder ...and Sperm

The Pentagon has acknowledged the existence of a database created to "scan" and contact possible military recruits.
The Pentagon's statements added that anyone can "opt out" of the system by providing detailed personal information that will be kept in a separate "suppression file." That file will be matched with the full database regularly to ensure that those who do not wish to be contacted are not, according to the Pentagon.
So, if you don't want to be on the list, they will not delete you off it.
Privacy advocates said the plan appeared to be an effort to circumvent laws that restrict the government's right to collect or hold citizen information by turning to private firms to do the work
Out of personal experience, I know that military recruits can be worse than most telemarketers.

When I was a few months away from finishing my engineering degree, Fall 2001, I decided to go to a videogame store, just to look around. This navy officer was at the store, pretending to be hanging out. As I looked at some games, he approached me. The conversation went, in English, in Puerto Rico, something like this:
-So, you like videogames - The Navy Recruiter said, as I stared back at him. Although my expression said "No shit", I said:
-I guess.
-Do you like [insert some videogame names with war themes that I don't quite recall]?
-Not really...
-In the Navy, we have videogame tournaments all the time. You like Quake, right?
-Not really...
-Also, we play basketball, you do like basketball, do you?
-Ehm, sorry, I don't have time for this...
-This could be a really good opportunity for you, you can have a career at the navy, good money...
-Sorry, I'm graduating soon, and already have a good job offer, and I'm not interested in the Navy...
-Why don't you let me get your information, so we can contact you, just for orientation purposes.
-I'm not interested - I was furious already.
-I'm only asking for...
-I'm not interested in the Navy. I don't like war. I hate what the Navy does. Leave me alone. Paz para Vieques! - And I walked out. The "Paz para Vieques" part was just to get him off me, it came out great. As I walked out of the store, pissed off, he said,
-It is ok, I respect your position, it is ok.
Fast Forward to a few years after, to grad school. A recruiter got my email address and started spamming me with 'opportunities'. I reported him as spam, it was ignored. I got mad, finally emailed him back, saying how I was not interested in the wonderful opportunity of training for a day like the special forces do.

How did that guy get my information? Evidently, my school sells my private information. I've already mentioned how I once got a letter from a Sperm Bank. They knew my age, degrees, ethnicity and other kinds of information, and they thought I was a great candidate to donate my sperm. What is that suppose to mean? "We think you look like the kind of guy who would masturbate really well?" Later I heard of other students in my program who got similar letters. So it goes.

No comments: