Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The Sandman

I just finished reading The Sandman by Neil Gaiman, for my third time. It is easy to say that The Sandman is the best comic book series ever written. I can say that after reading for the third time the 10 volumes (+2 extra ones) I still keep finding all these little details that shock me, quotes that I can't get out of my head, or just magical moments that touch me.

Each volume composes an arc inside the much longer story, where love, meta-epic, myth, horror, family conflict, a bunch of dreams, stories, and histories are braided together brilliantly. A master piece that changes the reader as Dream (also known as Morpheus, Sandman, Murphy, Oneiros, Lord Shaper, the Prince of Stories, The King of Dreams), the anthropomorphisations of dreaming, changes.

The change is subtle, or not, provoked by his own brothers and sisters of the Endless: Destiny starts his path, Desire provides the catalyst for his romances, and Despair the after taste of his bad choices, Delirium accompanies him in their search for Destruction, and Death is there for everyone, all the time. Along the path he visits hell, provokes the wrath of Morningstar, Lucifer himself, inspires Shakespeare, creates nightmares, has difficulties with his son, faces The Furies, The kindly Ones, and more importantly, defines reality.

If you have a passing interest in mythology, can't believe a comic could be very intelligent and thought provoking, or just want to understand that the Endless are just themselves, not bad, not good, just them, check the series out, you will not be dissapointed.

I'm not blessed, or merciful. I'm just me. I've got a job to do, and I do it. Listen: even as we're talking, I'm there for old and young, innocent and guilty, those who die together and those who die alone. I'm in cars and boats and planes; in hospitals and forests and abattoirs. For some folks death is a release, and for others death is an abomination, a terrible thing. But in the end, I'm there for all of them. -Death

Not knowing everything is all that makes it okay, sometimes. -Delirium

Innocence, once lost, can never be regained. -Morningstar

The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.

No comments: