Monday, March 21, 2005

Generation Gap

I already feel the generation gap in my university. Being from the 1997 class, it is weird seeing freshmen with 2004 class shirts in campus. The gap difference becomes more and more obvious with TAing. For example, it is small enough that there is a non-zero probability that I will run into a student at a party, bar, etc. But then, situations like the one that happened today come up every now and then to remind that, yes Virginia, Phobos is old.
Someone came to ask me about a circular motion multiple choice problem during my office hours. The problem read something like:
The Beatles White Album LP runs for 28 minutes. How many revolutions does it make during that time?

Well, I said, most LPs are 33RPMs, so, it is approximately 28 times 33&1/3. so, on the order of 930 revolutions. I then looked, and one of the choices was 932 revolutions. Done.
The student gave me a blank stare. "I hate physics, it is so hard!" Then, as I explained in more detail, we realized that the difficulty of the problem wasn't the math or physics, but the fact that the student did not know what an LP was, or what I meant by 33RPMs. In fact, I don't think she had ever played a vynil LP. "They shouldn't use obsolete technologies in these problems."
Sigh. I had to explain how an LP worked, how there were several speeds that you could play them, etc. "How did you know at which speed to play them?" I explained then how if you played at the wrong speed, it sounded either like Tom Waits or The Chipmunks sometimes. "That sounds retarded." I then started to talk about digital vs. analog, sampling rates and so on, and just gave up on the whole issue.
Yes, you had to choose the speed of the freaking LP, and walk in the snow uphill both ways while playing them, and we liked it that way.

No comments: