Thursday, October 06, 2005

how the emoticon killed the internet.

Emoticons were the best method to give personality to conversations and help the other person understand when you were being sarcastic or serious. However, now they are too popular. I am tired of those stupid Smiley Central banners.
I've turned off all of the custom emoticons from all of my messenger services, they are just too annoying. I know people that use a custom emoticon for most letters, each message is just a bouncing mass of unreadable images. This makes it too difficult to have a conversation. Many times I've talked with people whose messages get changed automatically. "suboblique" gets transformed into "suSPONGEBOBSQUAREPANTSWAVINGHISHANDSlique".
The problem now is that people have custom emoticons for random strings. Now when I receive messages like "good bybbbbb!!!!" I automatically assume that I should be seeing some annoying thing in there. I don't even ask, because I will expect to get a reply like: "can'tttttt uuuu ccccc my :))))))???????".
The custom emoticons are one step away from facilitating communication between thinking beings.
I will start to use text custom emoticons to confuse the people that use custom emoticons.
"LITTLEDEVILDANCINGAROUNDFIREo. SMILEYHOLDINGQUESTIONMARK are SMILEYPOINTINGATYOU QUESTIONMARKQUESTIONMARKQUESTIONMARK11"

No comments: