Tuesday, July 26, 2005

People: Now in 2D!

Everybody has a secret world inside of them. I mean everybody. All of the people in the whole world -- no matter how dull and boring they are on the outside. Inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds... Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe.
-The Sandman
People have many dimensions, I was arguing against my friend online. Not one, not two. Many more. I adapted a topological proof that I might have seen somewhere else to show that people are not two-dimensional. A person, a simply connected unique entity, cannot be 2D. I'm not sure if they are 3D, but topologically they have to be more than two. Being as resourceful as I am, I made a quick diagram, in MS-Paint, to prove it and sent it through IM to my friend. It has typos, and looks horrible, but I sort of like it the way it is. If I tried to clean it up and correct it, I will probably just ruin it. Click on it to enlarge it and read the small font.


People have to have more than 2 dimensions, or they would break into 2 parts.

That is assuming people have a normal gastrointestinal tract. It is possible to have a 2D person, but only if the GI tract has only one opening, such as in some invertebrates. In other words, 2D people can only exist iff they talk and shit through the same hole, which is a reasonable assumption now that I think of it.

I take it back then. My friend was right.

No comments: