Thursday, July 07, 2005

goodbye old computer

Don't buy Alienware computers. I don't think it came out sounding angry enough... DON'T BUY ALIENWARE COMPUTERS.
When I was trying to decide what computer circa three years ago I was looking for a computer that could last about 4 or 5 years. I knew that I was probably going to buy another computer during that time, but I wanted a computer that could serve a purpose after I replaced it. Alienware sounded like a really good option. I bought a (I should caps lock this) really expensive laptop because it was really cutting edge at that time (right now is an above average computer). I didn't care about how hot it got, its 3 fans were a status symbol; "My computer is so great, that I need 3 lawnmowers to keep it running". The computer was heavy so I didn't take it out of my desk that much. Its not a laptop, its more like a Portable Desktop.
After 1 year the BIOS battery ran out. My BIOS settings were reseted each time I turned off my computer. Since I never ran my computer on battery, I don't know when the battery stopped working. I only know that one day someone unplugged the computer by accident and it just went out. After 8 months, the CD drive started to malfunction as well. It would only read discs when it wanted, so if I wanted to install something, I would have to try 2 or 3 times. That problem got much worse with time, so I sent my computer back to warranty.
Shipping it to the company was easy, getting it back wasn't. I mentioned many times the correct address to send it, I sent e-mails, talked to people on the phone and called many times to confirm. Yet they sent it to the wrong address 3 times. THREE TIMES!!! I had to call everyday to make sure that they were sending it to the correct address and they completely ignored me three times! I was so pissed, but at least my computer would be working correctly.
I received my computer after 1 month (not to the address I specified), a USPS guy delivered it. They sent my computer through media mail so I had no way to know its location until it was in my hands. When I opened it, it had no power supply. So I had my computer, but couldn't use it, because apparently the battery was not charged or as it turned out they didn't change the battery.
I had to call again and ask for my power supply. The guy said that they would gladly ship it back. Again, wrong address 2 times. At least, the third address was the one I specified.
When I booted for the first time in 1.5 months, the BIOS worked correctly, the cd-rom didn't. I called and the warranty was over already, so there was nothing that they could do.
One year later, I buy a macintosh and I get glad that at least I can use my old computer as a file server. WRONG! I booted last night and it said "Hard Drive not found". I know that it really means that, because it was having some weird mechanical sounds.
In three years, my BIOS battery ran out, my cd-drive stop reading discs, my laptop battery stopped working, 1 pixel died, the spring to open the monitor broke and my hard drive died.

No comments: